By Ezra Odogu
The Governor’s Advisory Council (GAC) has debunked viral new on the social media that it has sanctioned the replacement of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu with the state Head of Service, Hakeem Muri-Okunola in the 2023 Governorship election in the state.
The Secretary of the GAC, most powerful and highest political decision making organ in the state, Alhaji Mutiu Are disclosed this via a press statement released on Saturday, 29 January, 2022.
According to the press release, in possession of The Gazelle News.com, the GAC stated that it is not within its realm to choose a replacement for any Governor.
The statement said the news was spread to cause disaffection among party members and leaders noting that the GAC has not discussed the issue of second term.
Below is the full press statement from GAC:
The attention of the Governance Advisory Council has been drawn to a vexatious post circulating on WhatsApp purporting that the GAC, party leaders and stakeholders have settled for a replacement for Governor Babajide Sanwo-olu.
Ordinarily, we would not have dignified such an anonymous post with any response. However, because of the possibility that some unwary persons may believe the words contained therein and interpret them as factual, the GAC would like to state as follows:
1.That the GAC has not settled for any person to replace Mr. Babajide Sanwo-olu as governor. Therefore, it is absolutely false and preposterous for anyone to suggest so.
2. That the process of picking a Governor is clearly stated in the constitution. And contrary to the false impression the merchant of hate, confusion, discord and disharmony wanted to create with the post, there is no discussion of second term ticket by the GAC.
3. It should also be pointed out that it is not within the realm of GAC to engage in picking replacements for a governor.
4. Importantly, the Independent National Electoral Commission has not signaled the commencement of the process for governorship election in Lagos State.
5. Governor Sanwo-olu was elected for a 4-year tenure which is still ongoing. The matter of replacement of the governor does not arise and is patently subjudice. Governor Sanwo-olu is doing a wonderful job delivering infrastructure projects for Lagos and working daily on making the state better for all its residents.
6. Finally, we urge those behind this dangerous, dysfunctional and misguided post to desist forthwith.